Sunday, April 26, 2009

Vandalism Update


I learned something today on lower Haight from this posted-up notice on the outside of one of the humble commercial/residential buildings that line that street, dating back to the decade after the '06 Earthquake. The notice informs the property owner that it is illegal to allow graffiti to remain on a building. If the owner does not efface the graffiti, then a fine can be imposed.

Honestly, does not this seem like intrusive legislation? The City is now saying I can't have my house decorated as I see fit? Is San Francisco a gated community with certified bland-aesthetic standards?

Or put another way, here am I, the victim of felony-vandalism (as the City terms it) and if I don't eliminate the evidence of the crime that was committed against me, then I (the victim) am subject to fine.