Tuesday, August 26, 2008

500 Club


Another landmark I pass each weekday morning on the way to the bus stop. Except when I pass by, the huge marvelous kinetic neon sign is never turned on. It is always turned off. Somebody forgot and left the sign on last night when they shut down the bar at 2:00 a.m! (All bars in San Francisco are required by law to close at 2:00 a.m., a fact that used to vex me in my clubbing days, but has not vexed me for a long time now.) What a treat to see, especially with the mornings beginning to be darker again on the trip across town to work.

There was also a small moon up in the sky behind the sign, but I did not manage to get the moon into the picture (though not for want of trying). A couple of street lights crept into the picture instead, and the one at top right is managing a pretty fair imitation of the moon.